Saturday, October 15, 2011

Land of 10,000 Memories

It has been nearly two weeks since I boarded a plane at Denver International Airport to swoop into Minneapolis where I spent a marvelous 10 days with my family, best friends from High School, and attended my college roommate's wedding.  Coming home to Minnesota doesn't happen often enough, and that is why, no matter what the circumstances, each visit is treated like a vacation. This usually includes napping on the back porch with the pets, sharing grand meals hot off Dad's grill, partaking in daily "Surly" happy hours, and making custard runs to Adele's. As special as visits home are, this trip was even more so since Joe, Lindsay and Antonio flew into town on Friday for the wedding, followed by Joe's family on Saturday for a joint family reunion. The gregarious tone set for the week was further accentuated by persistent warm and sunny weather!  Here are some photos to showcase some of my favorite memories from my early October visit to The Land of 10,000 Lakes. Oofta, yah you betcha!


View of the nation's only Basilica from
Joe's Garage Restaurant off of Hennepin
Avenue in downtown Minneapolis.
Note my family's table to the back right.
My brilliant brother, Mike!
He was able to join us for brunch/lunch before
hitting the books again.
My Dad and I drink a like.
For the record, this was the best Bloody Mary
I've ever encountered!  The secret ingredient included
some sort of spicy infused vodka.  A beer chaser is a must.
One of many trips to the best homemade custard shop in the cities!
Adele's custard located in Excelsior near Lake Minnetonka.
I've been a loyal fan for nearly 12 years now. 
The classic custard pooper.   This fresh vanilla
went into our half gallon of Caramel Cashew.
My mom makes a monthly visit to pick up Bear Paw.
The many local trails near my neighborhood
beckoned me to take a few afternoon rides.
Evenings on Lake Riley, located just a few minutes
away from our Chanhassen home. Maggie, my old puppy,
still rejoices with any opportunity to chase squirrels
and take a dip in the calm lake waters.
Key's famous caramel rolls from their restaurant
located within the oldest bar in Minneapolis.
Megan, Simon, me working together to pick a peck of apples!
Minnetonka Orchards in Minnetrista, MN.
Apple season... one of my favorites!
Kramarczuk's is a must when in the Minneapolis
neighbhorhood (or not)! Although they are famous for their
homemade meats and imported cheeses, we took home bags of
baked goods: kolache!  We were even able to snag three of their
best selling lemon variety, as well as traditional poppy
seed and cheese filled varieties.
Allyce, Simon, and Megan.
Getting happy at the Happy Gnome Bar,
St. Paul, MN.
My mom and I had a "girl's day out" lunch at the French Meadow
Bakery, famously known for being a favorite of Scarlette Johansson.
We split the Rachel Reuben, "firecracker" spicy coleslaw,
and french meadow salad with their famous whole grain bread.
Oh, and a few beers, too :)
Antonio, Lindsay, Joe, and Me.
Full of pozole and ready for a night out on the town! 
The stunning bride braving the strong evening wind.
I love this candid picture.
Congratulations Katie and Mike!!
The ceremony was held at the iconic Minneapolis
Cathedral in downtown St. Paul. 
The final days were spent in a house full of love and laughter.
Family at its finest!
Joe and I returned home (thank you Lazar Family!) with a bag full
of gourmet Wisconsin cheeses and sausages, which we couldn't help
but consume immediately! A tasty remembrance of our time
together and many more to come.

1 comment:

  1. What a nice write-up of your week back home. We always find plenty to do, don't we? I sure enjoyed having you and the Lazars and Lindsay and Antonio spend time here at our house.

    ReplyDelete