Monday, October 3, 2011

Italy Part 26

I am finding it to be extremely difficult to resist the urge to cook squashes, apples and all things cinnamon as the leaves change to orange and reds this fall. Why? I must finish my Italian challenge!!  Last week, Joe and I both had a free Monday to goof off, and I decided to check a few more Italian recipes off the list. Only EIGHT more recipes to go!  Dinner consisted of the following:

Chicken liver crostini (p. 95)
Polenta squares with mushroom ragu (p. 126)
Green beans with garlic breadcrumbs (p. 121)

Starting the polenta early so that it has time to set.
Only three ingredients:  cornmeal, water, and salt.
I would recommend using chicken stock next time.
By 9:00 AM this polenta was ready to spend the
afternoon thickening in the fridge. 

Joe and I biked to City Park where the Denver Museum of Nature and Science is located. My favorite "exhibit" was the fourth floor views of the city skyline propped against the Rocky Mountains.  The old mining rooms with old gold nuggets and gems were pretty sweet too...

Nerd birds :)
Gazing westward across City Park.
"Best views in Denver"
Fourth Floor lookout patio.

After filling our brains, it was time to fill our bellies. We biked home to whip up some dinner.  I have been hesitant to prepare the Chicken liver crostini since I'm not a big fan of organ meats... especially those that work to filter out toxins (and who knows what those would be for chickens that do not fall in the "organic, free-range" category).  Yum.  Perhaps this is why the entire container of chicken livers were only 75 cents!

Whoever was extracting these organs needs to brush up on their
poultry anatomy. There were kidneys in here too. No thank you! 
Once I added the sage, spices and Madeira wine, the liver
actually started smelling appetizing. 
Blending the cooked livers with more stinky things:
anchovies and capers!
Spread onto fresh toasted bread and garnish with cracked pepper.

The chicken liver appetizers were more pleasant that I expected, and even Joe continued to munch on them.  My favorite parts of the meal happened to be the next recipes that I will share with you. Green beans and mushrooms!!  The green beans required a quick boil bath and then tossing with pan-toasted garlic and breadcrumbs.  So simple but elegant. The mushroom ragu was also a quick recipe to complete, and in my option, out-shined the polenta squares! 

Green beans and garlic bread crumbs.
Table shot of our family-style meal.

Since I prepared the polenta in the AM, all it required was a quick slicing and further drying step in the oven. For this, I spread a generous portion or butter, salt, and shredded parmesan over the tops to add some flavor. A quick pop into the hot oven for about 20 minutes and they were ready for their mushroom topping. Next time, I would suggest stirring the butter and cheese into the hot, cooked cornmeal before refrigerating so that the savory flavor is distributed throughout the polenta squares.

Baked polenta.
Trying for a sophisticated presentation!
Throw on some ragu to top off the polenta,
 add a side of beans,
 and dig in! 

1 comment:

  1. This looks and sounds amazing!! What's even more amazing is that I think this comment is going to really post now that I'm using Firefox!

    ReplyDelete