Sunday, October 30, 2011

Italy Part 31: Mission Complete

Something magical happened this week:  Monday I went for a pleasant jog in 80 degree weather - sun screen, shorts and all. Then, unexpectedly, Tuesday evening I was slipping and shivering out to my car after knocking off work. To my amazement, the sidewalks were covered with wet snow. Tree branches were gracefully stretching down to touch their roots, balancing heavy white masses. Dogs on leashes were happily sniffing their covered territory with white noses.  I guess I should start checking the weather before leaving the house in the morning! 

Cheesman Park after Denver's first snow fall of 2011.
Radishes made for fancy snowman buttons.

Second to snow, another magical thing happened this week: I completed my Italian cooking challenge!  Can you hear the confetti poppers and whistles?!  It took a total of four months to make 75 recipes, not to mention countless hours dancing around my kitchen banging on pots and pans, ventures into new neighborhoods hunting for exotic ingredients, many inquisitive or delighted looks from my husband as he surveyed the table of my latest creations.  And, of course, many treasured minutes (or hours) at the table tasting and laughing.  When I began this culinary journey, I desired for a challenging kitchen regimen that would spit me out as a better cook.  I wanted a reason to play with new ingredients, learn new preparation techniques, talk with local butchers and farmers... basically, dirty my apron on a regular basis. Mission accomplished.  


So without further ado, let me illustrate for you the lengthy (but completely worth-it) method for making Italian Panettone bread... the final recipe of the challenge.

Step 1: Intoxicate some fruit.

Sultanas, candied orange peels, and lemon-orange
zest were drizzled with rum.

Step 2: Butter  up some sweet batter.

"Sponging" the dough with yeast, butter and sugars. 
Two, 1-hr rising sessions separated with lots of kneading
produced a velvety and elastic dough ready for baking.
The fruit was folded and kneaded into the dough before
being dropped into the baking pan. 
Step 3:  Grow your dough!

After 45 minutes, I opened my oven's door
to find a golden loaf of Panettone sprouting
from the dimensions of the baking pan. 
Traditional Italian Panettone.

So, how did this girl celebrate?  She exchanged her apron for ski pants and chased the snow up into the mountains!  As it turns out, a thick slice of Panettone makes for a perfect pre-ski breakfast (paired with a hot cup of caffeine, oh course)!  This fruity rum bread may have been the last recipe, but I'm keeping it bookmarked as my favorite.

Heading to Arapahoe Basin Ski Resort.
Loveland Pass will only be open a few more weeks. 
A curious cook at play!
Despite the refined onion-slicing, egg-whipping, and squid-gutting skills that I have acquired, there was an additional outcome to completing this challenge. Something more valuable than any of the delicious recipes that I prepared.  I gained my creativity back... Something that I had pushed to the corners of my brain for years to make room for incoming data required for surviving university classes is now pulsing through my daily thoughts. I see the world around me in color again. Everything is so beautiful...  even the slushy, muddy mess that will remain in my entry way until spring.

Thank you for joining throughout my culinary tour of Italy!  Stay tuned for many more food-inspired stories to come!  Ciao Italia! 

No comments:

Post a Comment