Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Golden Risotto

Whether or not you like squash, chances are you would adore this rich, golden risotto. With over 200 positive reviews from self-proclaimed Food Network critics, I couldn't resist trying this recipe for myself.  Next to Arborio rice, this risotto calls for roasted butternut squash, parmesan, saffron (giving the dish an added color boost), and a few splashes of white wine. As we continue to endure the winter weather, risotto embodies an ideal one-pot remedy to warming up... from the inside out!


Roasted Butternut Squash. 

For easy squash preparation, I suggest washing your squash, stabbing it with a fork a few times and then microwaving the entire thing for 5-8 minutes. This will make the flesh a bit softer and easier to cut. I prefer to cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, then cut it into 1-inch slices. To cook, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove the peel, and then chop. I prefer this way much better than trying to peel and cube a raw, hard squash! You might save a finger using my method... just sayin' I know my limits as an accident-prone cook!

Now onto risotto bliss. I think it is easier to read visually in this case. Remember, the trick to a creamy risotto is to add your liquid (broth and wine) over time, little by little, waiting for your rice to ask you for more. Be generous with adding parmesan and salt.  The last thing you want is a flavorless pile of rice and squash!  And remember, if you feel like tossing in a few other vegetables or seafood or whatever, well go for it! That is one the beautiful thing about risottos, they allow generous room for culinary creativity.

Variations: Bacon instead of pancetta (I forgot to add
the special Italian bacon to my grocery list... in retrospect,
the flavor was still delicious for a lot less cost).
Another Variation:  I tossed a few mushrooms into the pot. 
Be sure to drink the rest of your opened
bottle of white wine (hopefully you have company).
It pairs so nicely with the finished dish! 
The first of many scoops of hot, sticky Golden Risotto.

Viola!  
You are now warmed and satisfied. 

3 comments:

  1. this looks delicious! i am loving all winter squashes right now & risotto is always tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must have taken all day but I wish I could have some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah- I am also loving squashes and risotto :) One of my gluten intolerance friends just told me about how she recently made a root vegetable risotto without any rice (inspired by the food network). Just winter veggies cooked into a creamy dish! I haven't made it but it sounded delicious! Mom- you are at my table in spirit :)

    ReplyDelete