Friday, February 3, 2012

Cabbage Stew

Yesterday the offices where I work were all abuzz with hopes of heavy snow fall starting in the evening and continuing through Friday.  Sure enough, my boss called me this morning at 6:20 AM to confirm that the offices were "most definitely" closed today! Not two minutes later, Joe's phone started ringing and he too was off the hook for the day!  I tried to lay in bed and fall back a sleep, however, I couldn't help but slip on my winter boots to survey last night's snow fall. This is what our apartment's court yard looked like just before 7:00 AM:



Since we can't travel to the mountains due to hazardous travel conditions, I chose to work from home through the day while Joe reclines on the couch with a computer game.  NPR steams on the radio and I feel content watching the snow flakes continue to fall outside our frosty windows.  For lunch we needed something hearty and warm. I prepared the following cabbage soup, similar to what my mother used to make on cold winter evenings. I modified the recipe a bit to accommodate the contents of our pantry, and as a result, I believe I have discovered a healthier version of an old favorite!  See recipe below.


Cabbage Soup
Serves 6-8

Half head of cabbage, thinly sliced
2 slices bacon or pancetta, diced
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups whole milk
1 large potato, finely diced
1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
Fresh cracked pepper to taste
Dried dill (optional garnish)

Boil enough water in a large pot to cover the cabbage. Once boiling, add cabbage, cook for 1 minute and drain. Set cabbage aside. Rinse and dry the large pot and then cook bacon over medium heat unter rendered of fat. Add the onion continue cooking until transparent. Sprinkle the flour over everything and stir until well mixed and slightly browned. Add the broth, stirring rapidly with a whisk. Once the mixture simmers, add the cabbage, potatoes, salt and pepper and caraway seeds. Then stir in the sugar and vinegar and cook, stirring often from the bottom up, until the vegetables are just tender (about 30 minutes). Add the milk half-way through the cooking time and continue to add more milk if the soup becomes too thick. Serve the hot soup with a pinch of dill (optional) or more salt and cracked pepper. Note: Soup will thicken as it cools.  


Denver is expected to receive another 8 inches today and up to 4 more overnight.  Schools, universities, and just about every other business has closed their doors today.  Highways are closed and flights have been canceled through the afternoon. Although the snowfall is heavy and the road conditions are icy, I can't help but notice the absence of the sound of snowplows and snowblowers. These sounds are very familiar in Minnesota (where snow falls regularly in the feet).  In fact, I don't hear anything outside except the occasional crunching of boots from people letting their dogs out for a bathroom break.  Perhaps by mid-afternoon us lazy hibernators will be begging for an outdoor break as well!

Minnesota Memories
Playing in the snow with brother and old puppy
December 2010
Minnesota received record snow fall in 2011,
but nearly none this year.
It appears that Denver is stealing it all!

2 comments:

  1. I had forgotten about how good creamy cabbage is! Yours looks amazing!! I wish you could be my weekday chef(Daddio is my weekend chef). Denver has gotten so much attention this winter with your snowfall. Loved seeing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I wish Daddio could be my weekend chef, too! The snow just keeps on coming. We got hit again yesterday and more is in the forecast for next week!

    ReplyDelete