Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Bierocks Tradition

Although my childhood was spent living between Kansas, Texas and Minnesota, I consider myself to be a Kansas gal. I was born in Kansas. Both of my parents are from Kansas, and their parents' parents are from Kansas, and the majority of our living relatives remain within Kansas boarders today.  

Kansas. I think of this state as a humble gem at the center of America. Its soils are studded with golden limestone and frosted with waving wheat fields stretching as far as the eyes can see. These flat prairie lands accentuate the limitless sky above displaying cottony clouds and brilliant coral sunsets. Quiet gravel roads thread veins through old farming lands where immigrant European farmers once settled years ago. The only reminders of modern times in rural Kansas come from shiny combines juxtaposed with dilapidated barns.  Two of my great grandfathers farmed these fields. They were both Germans immigrants who were stubborn enough to tame the great plain's hard clay soils and unwieldily storms. They were determined to make a living for themselves and their families. I am part of the 4th generation, with fond memories of wheat and soybean harvests. Over so many years, however, many traditions from my German heritage have been lost with the land.  

And then again, there are Bierocks... 

Related to the pierogi.

My mother has been making these beef-and-cabbage stuffed buns for quick weeknight meals ever since I can remember. It has always been a family favorite. And very German! Well... to be more accurate, they are actually very Volga-German. In other words, they originated from ethnic German communities living along the Volga River in Russia. These peoples were allowed to continue practicing their religion and maintain their language. It wasn't until the 19th and early 20th centuries that many migrated to the Americas. Interestingly, while Joe and I made the long journey to Denver via I-70 (straight west through Kansas flint hills) we discovered that there are a few obvious reminders of the old Volga-German communities, such as a grand Cathedral erected from the land's limestone deposits by Roman Catholic German settlers over a hundred years ago.  

Victoria, Kansas.

In order to keep such a small piece of my family's history alive, I want to share with you a Bierocks story. My mother's recipe calls for quick Jiffy dough (modernization for new generations of working women), however, I was craving something as traditional as possible. In doing a little internet searching, I stumbled across a wonderful newspaper article written about another Kansan who wishes to preserve such a tasty tradition. In fact, has made a successful business out of it! While reading this article, I realized that there are a few variations of Bierocks, for example, thin versus thick dough, or sauerkraut versus carrot additions.  I merged his recipe with my mother's to create a recipe (below) that most aligns with my personal childhood memories of a family favorite.  

My Bierocks story:

Prepare the sweet yeast dough first.
While dough is rising, brown the ground beef in a large skillet.
While meat is cooking, shred cabbage and carrots, and dice
up some purple onion. 
Add the veggies to cook in the meat fat until tender.
The risen dough is now ready for sectioning.
This is how I keep my dough "warm" despite a cold apartment:
I heat up an inch of water in a large pan, turn off the heat,
and then set my dough bowl on top.
Grab a handful of dough and spread it thin.
Fill dough with meat and cabbage mixture.
Let your raw Bierocks set so that the dough can rise
a bit once again.
Bake your buns and then brush their tops with butter!
Enjoy with mustard...
or ketchup if you feel like being more American!

Traditional Family Bierocks
Makes 12
Serves 4 (most individuals consume 2-3 buns each).

Dough:
1 Tbsp. dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water
2.5 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 stick butter, melted
2 1/3 cups flour ("Yay" for wheat!)
1/3 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt

Filling:
1 lb. ground beef
1/3 head cabbage, shredded and chopped
1/2 purple onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste

First, prepare the dough. Combine yeast and sugar in warm water in a large bowl until dissolved. Set aside until foamy (5-10 minutes).  Add melted butter, then flour, then milk and salt. Add more milk if dough gets too dry.  After mixing, knead until smooth (about 10 minutes). Transfer to a greased bowl, cover with a tea towel, and let rise until doubled (about 1 hr).

While dough is rising, cook the filling. First brown beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain excess fat (if any). Add veggies and salt and pepper to taste.  Turn heat down to medium-low heat and cook slowly until veggies are tender. Remove from heat and set aside until dough is ready for stuffing.  Note: if you like sauerkraut, add about 1/2 cup now.


To assemble Bierocks, portion dough into 3-ounce balls (about 1 small handful). Roll out flat to about 1/2 inch thickness. Place 1/2 cup of meat mixture into the center of each, pull corners of the dough over the filling and pinch together in a nice seam. Place stuffed dough balls, seam side down, onto a lightly greased baking sheet and let rise another 20-30 minutes. During this time, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 25 minutes, or until browned. After removing buns form the oven, brush the tops with butter. Serve with spicy mustard and a pint of wheat ale.

Note: Bierocks keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days after preparation.  I love making extra to bring to work because they are easy to take on the go!

2 comments:

  1. Daddio used to eat bierocks as a hot lunch at school in Hays. It looks like you made enough to freeze for later suppers! I always took the shortcut to make these--I used a box of Pillsbury Quick Bread mix or even thawed out some Rhodes frozen bread. I used a package of cole slaw cabbage already shredded. And of course, I dipped mine in ketchup! Also--just one of your great-grandfathers was a German immigrant (Grandpa John). Grandpa Jim was born in Longford and I'll have to check to see when his family came to America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, for the corrections on the story's details. That is exactly why I wanted to get this published! You mean that Dad was offered bierocks on the school menu? WOW! What lucky Hays kids! :) And to clarify on our family history, great grandpa Jim's parents were immigrants from Germany then? Or did it go back even further? I think this is so interesting...

    ReplyDelete