Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Italy Part 16

Seems like ages ago when I was sitting in a dark, cold movie theater watching the new drama, Julie & Julia, when suddenly everything when black. The big screen was blank and the lights that normally illuminate the exit halls were out. I couldn't even see my toes, which were a few feet in front of my face, propped up on an empty seat. The crowd began to shift with curiosity, whispering and then questioning, unabashed,  What happened to the movie?! Will we get a refund? Where are the lights?! Is there a bomb in the mall?! Are we going to die?!  Ok, perhaps our frustrations were a little exaggerated, but the movie plot was nearing the climax and I think we were all a little peeved when the theater staff eventually made everyone exit through dark hallways due to "electrical issues." I never got to see what happened to the aspiring blogger, "Julie," who was cooking 524 recipes in 365 days from Julia Child's cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  That was, until, the movie arrived in my  mailbox earlier this week and I got to watch the entire feature, start to finish! I made Joe watch with me, promising him that the movie, "will explain a lot" about my current obsession with cooking and blogging. Looking back, I am actually thankful that the power went out that day at the theater because I was able to now watch it at a time in my life when I feel more aligned with the movie characters. How silly I must sound! 

It goes without saying that the movie definitely stirred up new motivation to finish my culinary challenge to cook my way through the Italian section of my Essential Mediterranean Cookbook (refer to Italy Part 1).  So here I am, the half-way point being reached nearly one month ago with 41 recipes completed and 41 to go (Italy Part 14), and since then I have only completed five more recipes?! If "Julie" can complete 524 advanced French recipes in 365 days, I can surely complete 36 Italian recipes in the next two months. This means that I have officially made a deadline: October 31st. Halloween

Let's get on track with an easy, seasonal pasta recipe: Orecchiette with broccoli (p. 108). 

Orecchiette is a pasta that resembles "little ears."
As my luck would have it, I couldn't find it at my local
grocery stores, so I substituted with a medium shell. 
Perhaps my favorite kitchen accessory:
 Calphalon multi-purpose stainless steel pot.
For this recipe, I could blanch broccoli, drain it, and
then return the strainer to the hot water to cook
the pasta without skipping a beat.
A simple pasta dinner. Just add chilled rose!
The blanched broccoli was sauteed in hot olive oil with chili flakes, garlic and anchovies. After a good toss with freshly grated parmesan, additional olive oil and salt, it is ready for sharing. This pasta was so refreshing and can easily stand alone as a single-dish meal.  More to come soon! 


Note to readers: If you desire a recipe for any of these Italian dishes, feel free to contact me. Due to copyright issues, I do not post recipes from the book on my blog pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment