Saturday, September 17, 2011

Italy Part 23


It's a beautiful Saturday morning here in Denver, but my thoughts keep circling back to my old home in Madison, Wisconsin.  After all, it is the season when Saturday mornings are served up with a hearty side of Badger football!  Speaking of traditions, I could really go for a beer and brat breakfast, sunburn, and 5th quarter dancing with Leckrone and the marching band. Did you know that they are celebrating their 125th birthday this year?  Neat-o! 

If you want to be a Badger just come along with me,
by the bright shining light,
by the light of the moon! 
Camp Randall at kickoff.

This afternoon the Badgers are taking on Northern Illinois Huskies at Solider Field. What is this Badger having for breakfast this game day?  Biscotti. Sconnie biscotti, perhaps!


Biscotti (p. 148)

Biscotti is simply a hard sweet bread. It requires making a sugared dough, kneading, and baking. However, there is an additional baking step to give it a nice cracker crunch! 

My biscotti loaf has completed round one of baking.
The glossy sheen comes from brushing the dough with egg.
As you can see, it was a bit over zealous to rise and it split
its side from head to toe!  
Slicing the once-baked biscotti loaf.
The green bits you see are pistachio nuts.
After a second round of baking, this sweet bread is now
crispy, crunchy, slightly sweet and oh-so-neat biscotti! 

I always thought biscotti would be difficult to make, but its really not! If you can bake a loaf of quick bread, you can make biscotti. I prefer mine dipped in creamed coffee or sweet tea. It softens it up a bit. Add some fresh fruit and you got yourself a fancy breakfast.  Perhaps not very Wisconsin, but I am wearing my red "sconnie" t-shirt, ha! 

No comments:

Post a Comment