Friday, July 8, 2011

Italy Part 5

The Before and After: Antipasto and Dessert

Frittata di asparagilla menta (p. 91)
Figs and procuitto (p. 91)
Stuffed peaches (p. 143)
Strawberries with balsamic vinegar (p. 140)

There is a flight leaving from Denver International at 9:00 PM tonight for a 19 hour flight to Rome for $834. As I'm in the kitchen yesterday pretending to be in Italy, I had a sudden realization that stopped my spoon mid-stir in some sugared strawberries. Nothing is stopping me from actually being in Italy... and tomorrow at that!  I have no job, no children, enough money to survive a few days (ok, well maybe one). Swept up in the spontaneity of the moment, I bought the ticket. I'm going to Italy tonight!!

Wait. That only happens in the movies! I have been cooking some more Italian though!  

With how busy the past week has been I have not prepared a complete meal, but rather an assortment of antipasti and dessert. Reading about the tradition of antipasto in the cookbook was enlightening. In short, antipasti (antipasto is singular) is sort of the American equivalent to appetizers. It is something special, eaten before the main dish or as a light meal. Antipasto dishes are traditionally composed of high-quality, simple ingredients. The combination of antipasti dishes can be one to a dozen depending on circumstance. For most Italians, antipasti dishes are served mostly for special occasions and gatherings. Don't forget your top shelf olive oil (if I could afford it). Apparently, a drizzle of fine extra-virgin olive oil over these simple dishes is the key to making them pop with fruity overtones!

When my family was relaxing at my apartment after their flight to CO,  I set out a spread of Frittata di asparagilla menta (asparagous and mint frittata), Figs and procuitto, cold Stuffed peaches, Roasted basalmic onions, and some craft cheeses and slices of procruitto.  Accompanied with some cold brews and it made for a refreshing, casual lunch.  The possibilities for antipasti seem endlessly appetizing.

Part of the "spread" of antipasti including the
Stuffed peaches, Figs and procuitto, and cheese.
I realized looking at this picture that a host should
never underestimate the power of nice serving dishes.
Pyrex is the bomb, but perhaps nice food is even better
when offered on a porcelain plate or something.
Just a thought I guess. Lesson noted.
The good beer. This is Oskar Blues, "Old Chub" scotch ale.
We didn't know it yet, but we were going to have lunch
at their brew house in Lyons a few days later.
The unique thing about Oskar Blues is that
they sell their beer in 12 oz. cans.
Ta da! The frittata is ready!
This was cut it into about 10 pie pieces.
The mint and asparagus were nice together.
I think I will try using a well-oiled cast iron skillet next time.

And then there is dessert! I am absolutely in love with the sweets section of Italian cuisine. These two desserts highlight making the most of the seasonal fruits. Preparing the stuffed peaches was a treat because it forces you to open a bottle of white wine (for a drizzling the peaches before baking). The peaches also require a dash of amaretto liquor in the biscotti batter. Coming out of the oven the smell of sweet almond goodness is delightful! I noted above that I served some cold leftovers of these peaches as a sweet accompaniment to the savory antipasti.  These are also great in the morning with coffee! The strawberries with balsamic are well, perhaps my favorite thing in the world right now. 


Stuffed peaches are easy to prepare. However, I do have two tips:
1) If you can't find the amaretti biscuits they ask for in the recipe, buy a basic biscotti that contains almonds. This was a rut I ran into but the biscotti worked well (since amaretto is an almond-flavored liquor it compliments nicely).
2) Use ripe, Colorado peaches. Instead of getting frustrated with peach juice running down your arms, Colorado peaches twist right off the pit! You can find them in your grocery store July-August. You can also use nectarines or apricots.

The beautiful berries "macerating" in caster sugar.
I had to look this one up. It means "to soften".
Sure enough, after a half hour they were soft
and swimming in sweet strawberry juice.


After a splash of balsamic vinegar, and another half hour to marinade, these strawberries were ready for tasting. To serve, put a small dollop of mascarpone (a sweet cream cheese) on top.


A generous dollop of mascarpone
(the cream is almost a great as the berries)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment