Friday, July 1, 2011

Memory Lane

It is a beautiful Friday evening before Independence Day. What is it about Denver's consistently hot, sunny summer days without humidity or bugs? Amazing. Sometimes I have to pinch myself and say, "Emily. Yeah. You are really living here!" Not only that, but I get three whole months to do whatever my heard pleases (before putting on my responsible pants and finding a job)! Today I stumbled across old photos from my trip to Italy in 2006, when I was a freshman in college nearly seven years ago. I remember it so well... somehow four gals from floor 10 of Sellery Hall decided to embark on a two-week summer adventure in Italy, hopping from one town to another with a tour group called, Contiki. I spent my entire savings on that trip and spent the rest of the summer working three jobs to make up for it. Instead of describing the dinner I fixed last night, I want to share a few of my favorite memories from that trip.

P.S. Happy 4th of July! My family is visiting from Minneapolis so I'm sure I will have some fun food stories to tell next week. Ciao bella.

Sensory overload at St. Paul's Cathedral.
This was the ending to almost an entire
day of touring historical sites in Rome. 
Gelato poured out of every crack in the city streets.
The great thing about Italian gelatorias is that they will
dish you up multiple flavors in one scoop if you ask.
Perhaps the most memorable part of gelato tasting was the utensil
they give you to eat it with: a small, neon-colored plastic shovel. 
Wandering the streets of... some Italian city I can't remember...
on a night when every Italian was crowded around cafe and pub
TVs to watch a soccer match. We found dinner at this take out joint
that served giant slices of cheesy bruschette for only 1 Euro!
We were so happy to find affordable grub!
Wine tasting (or fantasizing)!
Perhaps my favorite afternoon of the trip because we got to tour a
Tuscan vineyard where we learned about Chianti Classico
At the top of the Duomo in Florence. 
Being a tourist in Pisa.
Help! It's leaning!
More gelato!
All of us Westerners became totally addicted...
Hands down, the most authentic and delicious meal I had on the trip.
I wish I could tell you about what we ate but I think I drank
a whole bottle of wine by the end of the five-course meal.
The two people dressed in green vests were some of our servers,
and looking at this picture now makes me realize that they were
just thrilled  to host a bunch of loud Americans and Canadians. 
Cappuccino heaven in Venice.
If there is one thing Italians like more than good wine,
it's strong espresso.  The espresso bars in the AM is like a flock
of buzzards on prey. There are no take-away plastic cups or tables
to sit down, but instead you get your espresso cup,
stir in a packet of sugar, take it back and jet!
The last supper in Rome, shared by the four Madison gals from
Sellery 10B.  I loved this night because, for once, we didn't
look at the price on the menu. After this, we blew the rest
of our Euros on some Italian beers...
Good Bye Italy! I hope we see each other again!

Lessons I took away:
1) Italians don't eat spaghetti with a fork and spoon. Just fork. None of this twirl-it-in-your-spoon business.
2) Cheap wine is still cheap wine.
3) At restaurants, bread is served with oil and salt, if anything. They rarely eat it with balsamic vinegar like we do here in the States.
4) Dessert is often a piece of fruit, ripe and juicy and sweet.
5) Restaurants close down from about 3:00 PM until sometimes 8:00 PM so stagger your appetite accordingly.
6) Meals often last for hours.
7) Families and neighbors eat together.
8) The food is truly inspiring and makes you feel alive.
7) I need to learn how to cook and eat like Italians!

No comments:

Post a Comment