Sunday, April 22, 2012

Weekends are Wonderful

Weekends so wonderful when they can be savored without a to-do list taping you on the shoulder or without any plans whatsoever.  I finally got one of those weekends and have relished every second.  Dozing in bed without an alarm, brewing coffee in my Chemex, eating leftovers for breakfast while browsing food blogs... these simple joys make immensely happy.

Chemex coffee love.
Lima Bean Gratin with a side of crusty sourdough for a
lovely Saturday morning breakfast.  

As I have been floating from one food blog to the next (gasping from amazement at what other food enthusiasts are whipping up in their kitchens) I realize that I have been absolutely terrible about blogging my own culinary endeavors.  No excuses come to mind other than that I've been lazy. Perhaps even reluctant.  Now, on this beautiful Sunday morning, I am feeling a bit guilty thinking, How could I have let so many great meals go un-blogged?!  I mean, I've been cooking delightful spring dishes one after the other.  I guess I just craved getting swept away in the natural rhythm of cooking with spontaneity... with pure enjoyment.  Not to mention, this habit is an easy one to repeat since [cooking] - [blogging] = [less hassle].  Like trying to manipulate a camera with greasy fingers, policing all random drippings or crumbs from the rims of serving plates, making your hungry husband (or other dinner guests) wait impatiently to eat until after the cook has capered around the table snapping final photos.


To make up for a bit of lost time, I did snap some photos from a tasty weeknight dinner from this past week. I simply browned some honey-glazed pork chops in a bit of oil in a pan, then roasted them at high heat for a few minutes until juicy and tender.  They were served along side some roasted radishes, including their green tops, and a beautiful batard.  The recipes came from the food geniuses at Food & Wine (a website I am currently completely obsessed with).  Eating this meal made me think I was attending an outdoor French-country dinner party surrounded by vast rolling hills of silver-colored grasses and an amber sunset the color of our ale.  Oh, the places my mind takes me!

Menu:
French Batard
"Stranger" Ale (Left Hand Brewing Co.)

These tender, blushing radishes stole the meal's spotlight.

Joe and I enjoyed this meal slowly, but as you can see from the picture below, we still finished eating before the sun had disappeared.  A sure sign that summer is on the horizon!  Soon we will be spending the precious hours of twilight at our roof-top getaway once again.

Slow food. 

Ahh... there, I feel like I've somewhat satiated my blogging responsibilities.  I shall leave you with a few other reasons as to why I love weekends.  Having time to read...

The Essential New York Times Cook Book,
by Amanda Hesser (aka my culinary idol).

Yes, I read cookbooks like they are novels. Stop that cackling!  And also, staying up late to bake whatever my sweet tooth is craving...  

Double Butterscotch Refrigerator Cookies

And saving a few for my hubby who works ridiculously nuts hours at the hospital.  Until next time (soon)!

2 comments:

  1. i love that you read cookbooks like novels! i definitely enjoy sitting down and paging through my cookbooks for inspiration, but i don't really read everything!

    also, i totally hear what you're saying about it being so nice to just cook. no photos, no trying to remember ingredients and amounts so you can post the recipe. it's a much more relaxing way to cook and it's definitely easier to lose yourself in it when you do it that way then when you document everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know all food bloggers (like yourself!) probably have a collection of funny stories to tell about trying to cook with a camera and pencil :D Let's just say I've started looping my camera wrist band around my wrist at all times haha!

      Delete