Saturday, August 27, 2011

Death by Brownies

Earlier this summer, I got a knock on my apartment door to sign for a package addressed from one of my dear friends, Kelly. What a marvelous surprise to pull off the packing tape and have Argentinean chocolates, sweet biscuits, coffee, dulce de leche, and a bottle of wine come spilling out! Kelly had just returned from a two-week vacation in Argentina and was generous enough to share some of her favorite flavors of the country with Joe and me. I have to admit, the chocolates and wine disappeared quickly that week, however, I told Kelly that I wanted to make something special with the authentic dulce de leche sauce. I found a recipe for decedent brownies complements of my favorite recipe search site,  www.tastespotting.com.  If you have not visited this website, I apologize for introducing you to it because you will be seduced and consumed by it (and you may even begin to feel a bit insecure about your own cooking abilities). That said, check it out!

Typing "dulce de leche" into the search bar, many jaw-dropping recipes appeared. I decided that I absolutely must make some rich, chewy, moist brownies dreamed up by the young and talented Flour Child.

The following pictures document my attempt to duplicate her recipe, however, please referencer her blog, as she is totally deserving of all praise! 

Combining what I call, liquid heaven.
Melted semi-sweet chocolate and butter,
mixed with cocoa powder, sugar, and vanilla. 
Getting ready to add the special ingredient: imported dulce de leche.
Swirling the dulce de leche into the fresh brownie batter.
Dulce de leche is thick, milk-based sweet sauce that originated in
Buenos Aires, Argentina in the 1800's. For those of you who have
 never tasted it, think of thick caramel sauce, but better!
The finished product, fresh out of the oven.
The surface was still bubbling and crackling, and yet I couldn't
help but grab a knife and spoon to begin sampling.
As you can see, these brownies are quite delicious...
I nearly had a fourth of the pan before it was even cooled!

Thank you, Kelly, for giving me the excuse to make these out-of-this-world brownies!  For those of you attempting this recipe at home, feel free to use caramel sauce or make your own dulce de leche sauce. The same gal, Flour Child (that I referenced for the recipe above) provides a wonderful homemade recipe for the sauce. These brownies are so delicious you will probably be eating them for breakfast. A perfect pair to a hot cuppa of Joe.  

A snippet of me and Kelly (left) complements of perpetual silliness.
Friends reunion, Atlanta, GA 2010.

1 comment:

  1. I heart you, Ems <3 these look and smell amazing! Que delicioso, amiga. That was one very lucky tub of dulce de leche to wind up in your kitchen and be used for a heavenly dessert. Yummmm I cam only imagine what your apartment smelled like while these baked....*drool* guess I'll just have to make them myself and find out ;)

    ReplyDelete